Minster Stoves & Heating
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Information
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs from exposure to a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air. It is toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations.

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs from exposure to a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air. It is toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations.

The partial oxidation of carbon-containing compounds produces carbon monoxide. It forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce carbon dioxide (CO2), such as when operating a stove or gas appliance in an enclosed space.

How does Carbon Monoxide kill?

Carbon Monoxide combines with haemoglobin in the blood to produce carboxyhaemoglobin, preventing red blood cells from carrying oxygen to the brain and other bodily tissues.

Carbon Monoxide can kill quickly and with no warning, and you can’t see, taste, or smell it.

What are the symptoms?

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

Symptoms of carbon monoxide can be similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections, or only tiredness. That’s why people often mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.

Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning are that your symptoms only occur when you are at home. Symptoms disappear or improve when you leave home but come back when you return; other people/pets in your household are experiencing similar symptoms.

Should I take a Carbon Monoxide Detector/Alarm on Holiday?

YES Absolutely! We strongly suggest making this the first item in your suitcase.

ACCOMMODATION WITHIN THE UNITED KINGDOM

In the UK, providers of self-catering accommodation must ensure the safety of their guests. All gas appliances should be installed and checked annually by a Gas Safe Engineer. However, for the price of an alarm, approximately £30, it’s worth bringing one with you wherever you stay.

Accommodation providers also need to ensure adequate ventilation throughout the holiday accommodations. This is especially important in caravans, lodges, tents, or glamping pods.

ACCOMMODATION OUTSIDE THE UK

Particularly when holidaying abroad, it’s not uncommon to find holiday rentals (Airbnb, other private rentals, and even 5-star hotels) with safety standards lower than those in the UK.

This means that not only are alarms often not installed in the accommodation, but various heating, cooking, air conditioning installations, and even certain insecticidal chemicals (used to tackle bed bugs and other insect infestations) can be dangerous and can lead to a build-up of carbon monoxide.

Make sure to bring a carbon monoxide detector on your holiday! Since carbon monoxide is odorless and undetectable to humans, a CO alarm is the best way to stay safe from this deadly gas. It should be your number one holiday essential on your packing list.

A qualified engineer should service and check all appliances (gas fires, gas stoves, central heating boilers, hot water heaters, wood burning stoves, pizza ovens, “AGA” cookers, gas tumble dryers etc.)annually, and you should fit a CO alarm in rooms where appliances are installed.

To arrange a service of your boiler, fire or stove, please contact us.

If you have any reason to suspect you may be suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, you should seek URGENT medical advice. Turn off any appliances, open windows and consult a qualified gas safe registered engineer to arrange a safety check.

Scroll to Top