Back to Top

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning From Faulty Gas Appliances

Gas Safety Carbon Monoxide PoisoningCarbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air. It is toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations.

Carbon monoxide is produced from the partial oxidation of carbon-containing compounds; it forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce carbon dioxide (CO2), such as when operating a stove or gas appliance in an enclosed space.

How does Carbon Monoxide kill?

Carbon Monoxide combines with haemoglobin in the blood to produce carboxyhaemoglobin, this prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen to your brain and other bodily tissues.

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly and with no warning

What are the symptoms?

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

Carbon monoxide symptoms can be similar to flu, food-poisoning, viral infections or simply tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.

Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning are that your symptoms only occur when you are at home; symptoms disappear or improve when you leave home but come back when you return; other people/pets in your household are experiencing similar symptoms.

We recommend that all appliances are serviced and checked annually by a qualified engineer and that a CO alarm is fitted in rooms where appliances are installed.

If you have any reason to suspect you may be suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning you should seek urgent medical advise. Turn off any appliances, open windows and consult a qualified gas safe registered engineer to arrange a safety check.

To arrange a service of your boiler, fire or stove please contact us.